Most Recent Update:
I originally developed this recipe for creamy vodka sauce for Barilla in 2016. Thanks, Barilla, for partnering with me!
Vodka sauce is my favorite pasta sauce. I have a recipe for how to make traditional vodka sauce, but this short-cut version is a nice alternative for when you’re a little bit short on time.
It’s really versatile–you can even use it as a pizza sauce like I did in my Grandma Pizza recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see my disclosure page.
Dinner In a Snap with Jarred Pasta Sauce
You are less than thirty minutes away from dinner!
One of my favorite quick meals is cooking up some pasta and finishing it in some great sauce, homemade or store bought.
Even if you aren’t up for making a quick homemade sauce for a weeknight dinner, there are some excellent jarred pasta sauces out in the world, such as this All Natural Marinara from Barilla.
Fresh Tasting Jarred Pasta Sauce
Not all jarred pasta sauces are created equal. Here are a few I find really delicious and worth using, either straight up or “doctored” a bit.
How To Make Vodka Sauce from Marinara Sauce
You can actually buy jarred vodka sauce, but it’s so easy to turn a jarred or homemade marinara into vodka sauce, I usually just do it myself. Here’s how it works:
- Heat oil and pepper flake.
- Add marinara and heat.
- Add vodka and reduce a few minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese and Pecorino Romano.
And now, on to the creamy vodka sauce recipe. I promise you’ll love it.Easy Creamy Vodka Sauce | Dinner will be ready in 20 minutes. Honest!
Restaurant-Style Vodka Sauce
If you’re interested in a more old-school “pink sauce’ you might find at your favorite Italian trattoria, please give my “How to Make Vodka Sauce” post a look.
What If I Don’t Have Heavy Cream?
Most vodka sauce is made with heavy cream. I don’t know about you, but I don’t always have heavy cream on hand. But what I do almost always have on hand is cream cheese, and that’s the secret ingredient in my easy vodka sauce, although I guess it isn’t a secret anymore!
What If I Don’t Drink? What Can I Substitute for the Vodka?
No worries if you don’t have vodka in the house. You can still make a very flavorful sauce by just adding a bit of stock in place of the vodka. It won’t be exactly the same as if you used vodka, but it will still be creamy and delicious!
Other Easy Dinner Recipes To Try
Want some more easy dinner ideas? Try one of these recipes:
Easy Creamy Vodka Sauce Recipe
If this creamy vodka sauce sounds good to you, please rate it and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from readers! If you make it, and I really hope you do, please share a photo with me either on Instagram, tagging @onlinepastrychef and using hashtag #pcorecipe or in the Pastry Chef Online Facebook group. I can’t wait to see your version!
For the Creamy Vodka Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flake, , to taste
- 1 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup vodka, (sub water or stock if you don't want to use alcohol)
- 4 oz cream cheese, (1/2 block)
- 2 oz finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar, (if needed for sweetness)
To Finish and Serve
- 1 pound your favorite hearty pasta shape such as penne
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until it shimmers.
- Add the pepper flake and swirl for a few seconds to flavor the oil.
- Pour in the jar of your favorite marinara sauce and stir well. Bring to a simmer and add the vodka, water or stock.
- Simmer and stir for about 5 minutes just to reduce the sauce a bit.
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted, and then stir in the grated Pecorino Romano.
- Taste, and if needed, add the balsamic for a bit of brightness. I quite liked it in mine.
To Finish and Serve
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Boil only 7 minutes rather than 9, then drain it, reserving 1 cup of the starchy pasta water.
- Add the pasta and water to the creamy marinara sauce and stir well over high heat until the pasta is done and the sauce beautifully coats every piece of penne.
- Serve with extra grated cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
If you make your sauce while your pasta water is coming to a boil and while your pasta is cooking, I promise you dinner can be on the table in about 20 minutes!
- Vera Pasta Traditional Penne Pasta - Gourmet Italian Pasta for Authentic Taste & Texture - Artisan, Fresh Pasta Made in the USA - All Natural, High-Protein Penne Pasta - 2 Pounds
- Cooks Standard 3-Quart Multi-Ply Clad Stainless Steel Saucepan with Lid
- Zassenhaus Speyer 5.1-Inch Dark Stained Beech Pepper Mill
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1/6
Amount Per ServingCalories 399 Total Fat 17g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 33mg Sodium 832mg Carbohydrates 43g Fiber 4g Sugar 9g Protein 13g
And there it is, friends. Starting with jarred pasta sauce to make a creamy vodka sauce is a great shortcut to restaurant-style flavor with minimal effort.
Thank you so much for spending some time with me and with Barilla®. I know you’ll enjoy the creamy vodka sauce as much as we are loving it here at home.
Take care, and have a lovely day.