I was scrolling through my instagram feed and came across a photo from Chef David Ruggerio he called “Death by Popcorn” made with caramel marshmallow, butter and brown sugar. We agreed that since he made it on the weekend it contained no calories at all.
Inspired by his “no recipe” experiment, I decided to make good use of the leftover coffee marshmallows from my hot chocolate custard post and make something similar. It was a short leap to include maple syrup and crisp bacon to end up with these lovely, sticky, salty-sweet breakfasty-tasting coffee maple bacon popcorn treats. Not a fan of bacon? Leave it out. Don’t like maple? You can leave that out too. And if you’re not starting with coffee marshmallows (although I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t) just add some instant espresso to your mix. Enjoy!
- 300 grams (about 14 oz) coffee marshmallow (or store-bought marshmallows)
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- 2 oz real maple syrup, (about 3 Tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon instant espresso, (up to 2-3 Tablespoons if starting with plain marshmallows)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup crisp, , crumbled bacon (depending on how bacony you like things. I used about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels, , popped your favorite way, picked through to remove unpopped kernels (I use coconut oil and fine sea salt and pop the corn on the stove)*
- Butter or spray a 9"x13" pan (I used an 11"x11" pan). Set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed sauce pan, melt the marshmallows and butter together with the maple syrup over low to medium-low heat. Do not let it boil.
- Stir in the espresso powder and salt, then stir in the crisp bacon so it is evenly dispersed.
- Fold in the popcorn, making sure to evenly coat all the corn.
- Scrape the popcorn into the prepared pan and, using buttered hands or a piece of parchment paper, pack the corn evenly into the pan.
- Cool and cut into squares with a serrated knife.
- Enjoy the same day or store, tightly covered, in the fridge for up to 5 days.
*If you don't want to pop your own corn, substitute 10 cups lightly salted popcorn
If you give them a try, let me know what you think.
Thanks for spending a bit of time with me today. Have a lovely day.