Is There a Recipe for a Cool Whip Substitute?

Fear not; there are many alternatives to Cool Whip.

Fear not; there are many alternatives to Cool Whip.

You guys know how much I hate Cool Whip, right?  So, just don’t buy it.  And before you say anything, I can hear some of you now wanting to know what else you can use to top your pies or your cakes.  As usual, I’ve got your backs; I’m here to help.  Over the past couple of weeks I’ve gotten some emails and read some comments left on some of the cooking forums asking about making whipped cream from scratch, looking for an alternative to whipped cream because someone in their family doesn’t like it (?!) and even how to make a Cool Whip substitute (?!)  It was that last one that made me realize that I’d better get to work.  If folks are looking for Cool Whip substitutes, I’m not going to let them down.

So here, for your edification, I present a Compendium of Creamy Homemade Dessert Toppings.  All are made from normal, everyday ingredients and none of them contain any partially hydrogenated anything.

1. Whipped Cream Softly whipped cream (or, to use the French term, creme chantilly)is a wonderful topping to spoon on top of some fresh berries.  Since it’s soft, it will sort of slowly sink into the berries.  Cream whipped to medium-to-firm peaks is your best Cool Whip substitute, because you can do that perky little dollop on top so that your pie looks like the pie in the Cool Whip commercials.  Here’s how you do it by hand:  Take some cold heavy cream (as opposed to heavy cold cream–we’re not removing make up) and put it in a metal bowl.  Start whisking.  You don’t have to whisk it crazy-fast or anything, just fast enough that you get some air incorporated.  Once the cream has thickened a bit, add in some sugar (superfine is nice because it dissolves quickly), a pinch of salt and a wee splash of flavoring.  Taste, and add a little more sugar if you need to.  Whisk until the cream is at the perfect thickness for what you want to do with it.    As you can see, whipped cream isn’t really a recipe.  It’s more of a technique.  It’s more about keeping things cold and whisking well and less about how many teaspoons of sugar you are using.  Here’s a tip for getting really dense, creamy whipped cream.  I don’t think that many people know about this secret, so come a little closer.  If you whip your cream in the food processor, it will be dense and smooth and creamy. You have to be careful, because the food processor is pretty harsh, and you could end up with butter if you don’t pay close attention.  I’m serious, though, guys–cream whipped in a food processor or with an immersion blender has a dense texture that you just can’t get when whipping by hand or with a hand or stand mixer.
    2. Whipped Creme Fraiche–This is some seriously good stuff, folks.  While true creme fraiche is pretty pricey, a very reasonable facsimile can easily be made at home.  Stir buttermilk and heavy cream together.  For every 1 cup of cream, you’ll need 1 TBSP of buttermilk.  We used to make a 12 quart recipe at the restaurants, so this formula scales up very easily.  Okay, so you just stir them together and let it sit out at room temperature, covered, until thickened.  This can take anywhere from 12 to 36 hours, depending on how much you’re making and on the temperature in your kitchen, so be patient.  Once your cream has thickened, refrigerate until cold.  The chilled creme fraiche will be pretty thick–almost like soft-serve ice cream.  Don’t worry, though.  You can whip it just like cream.  When you start whisking, it will thin out and then start to thicken again.  Use the same technique that you used for making whipped cream.  The tang of the creme fraiche is a nice complement to very sweet dishes and is a little more of an adult flavor.
    3. Italian Meringue–This kind of topping won’t be as rich as whipped cream or whipped creme fraiche, but it is fat free!  Yay for you guys who are looking for a fat-free topping to counteract all the fat in the big old American Hummer Pie you’re putting it on!  That’s kind of like ordering the Monster Thickburger, large fries and a Diet Coke, but what do I know?  Back to the meringue:  take a cup of sugar and put it in a pot with a little water, just enough to get it wet.  Heat and stir to dissolve the sugar, and then bring to a boil.  Put the lid on and let it boil for a couple of minutes to wash any sugar crystals off the sides of the pan.  Bring the sugar syrup up to 245 degrees, F.  While the sugar is coming to temperature, whip 5 egg whites together with a pinch of salt and either a teaspoon of lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar.  Whip the whites to medium peaks.  With the mixer on low, slowly and carefully pour the sugar syrup in a thin stream down the inside of the bowl.  Once you’ve added all the syrup, increase the speed to medium-high and whip until the whites are stiff and glossy and cool.  Flavor it with some vanilla or mint or lemon or any kind of extract.  At the restaurant, we used to pipe little dollops of Italian meringue on parchment and store them in the walk-in freezer.  (They don’t get hard in the freezer, they just keep nicely).  Then, when it was time to plate, we’d bring out a frozen dollop and hit it with a torch to brown it.  You don’t have to brown this meringue, though.  It’s cooked!
    4. Whipped Sour Cream–This is an easy topping with a slight tang.  Whip cold, heavy cream to medium peaks, and then add an equal amount of sour cream.  Sweeten, salt and flavor as desired.  Don’t think that you can mix the sour cream and the cream together and then whip them.  It doesn’t work.  Trust me; I know.  Make sure you bring your cream to medium peaks before adding the sour cream.
    5. Silken Tofu Whipped Topping–This one is for you lactose intolerant type folks out there.  I will not let you be reduced to using Cool Whip.  Try this instead. In a food processor or blender, mix together a package of firm tofu (10.5 oz.), 2 TBSP sugar/brown sugar/agave nectar/what have you, a pinch of salt, and a wee splash of vanilla and lemon juice.  Blend or process until smooth.  If it’s too thick, thin with a little soymilk and blend again.  If you want it sweeter, add another TBSP or two of sweetener.
    6. Coconut Cream  Buy full-fat coconut milk and let it sit. Carefully skim off the very thick cream, leaving the watery part behind (you can use it in your recipes–it’s great as a liquid in cakes or in Thai curries).  Chill and sweeten to taste.  Whip it for a few minutes using your stand mixer or a hand mixer and use immediately for topping…whatever. Key lime pie seems a good bet. A hit of lime juice is great in this, by the way.
    7. Sour Cream Topping–This one might be my favorite.  It’s not whipped and poofy.  This this the topping that my mom bakes on top of my chocolate cheese birthday pie–vanilla wafer crust, cheesecake, ganache, sour cream topping.  I know, right?!–and I love it.  All you do is add 1/3 cup of sugar and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla per cup of sour cream.  Stir in a pinch of salt, and that’s pretty much it.  You pour this on top of a just-out-of-the-oven cheese cake or a hot chocolate pie, put it in the oven for 5 minutes at 300 degrees, F, let cool, and you’ve got a fantastic tangy-sweet semi-set topping that, well, it’s just the best.  And that’s why I saved it for last.

Some other ideas for you:  try using brown sugar, honey or maple syrup in place of the sugar when whipping cream or creme fraiche or even your tofu.  Also, there’s no rule against adding citrus zest or cinnamon or espresso powder.  Give some thought to what you’ll be putting your topping on and use complementary flavors.  Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with just using a little vanilla.  Sometimes, less is more.

These are affiliate links. If you buy through these links, you’ll be helping us feed our kittens. Thank you so much!

Comments

Substitute for Cool Whip? Seriously? Man, that makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. Let’s come up with a substitute for margarine while we’re at it. Ooh, and what can we use in place of Sweet ‘N Low? Geez, some people.

• Nikita Valencia says

Drew, I have a recipe that calls for Cool whip to be mixed with cream cheese that makes it light and fluffy, and doesn’t break down. I don’t want to use cool Whip, but I’m afraid the whipped cream won’t be as stabilized, and at the same time as fluffy as the cool whip makes it to be. Even with stabilized whipped cream will mixing it with cream cheese affect it negatively?

Nikita, I think you will be fine using whipped cream. Soften the cream cheese and mix in some of the cream before whipping it. Then fold the rest of the whipped cream in with the cream cheese mixture. If you’re concerned, sweeten with 10x (powdered) sugar. It contains some corn starch that will help with any weeping that might occur. And honestly, it will taste so much better with no weird chemicals. Enjoy!

I cannot imagine why anyone would need a Cool Whip substitute; it’s called whipped cream, people. But those are certainly some creative and informative techniques. I have had an obsession with all kinds of meringue-like things every since I discovered Canele’s monster meringues in Singapore. And thanks for the secret, I’ll definitely try whipping in my sad, 1-cup food processor.

As a side note, the French pastry chef I met in Singapore would only use this boxed whipping cream called Creme Excellence. Sounds fancy, no? She imported it from France and paid out the nose for it, but refused to use anything else. Clearly there’s a difference between French and American whipped topping sensibilities.

We don’t have cool whip but we do have equivalents – cream in a spray can and the like. I steer clear (but you knew that already). Meanwhile, I am liking the sound of that sour cream topping…

Thanks for visiting my site! I love your site. I really want to get into pastry am considering going to culinary school but not sure i can afford it. Any advice on how to get into cake decorating and pastry making? besides reading your blog of course! :)

@Drew and Chris: I know, right?! The first version of the post said “hel-LO! It’s called whipped cream” But then I decided it sounded mean and changed it :) And Chris, if it makes you feel any better, you can tell yourself that whipped cream is very rich and you don’t need more than a little at a time! Boxed French whipping cream? I could get behind that!

@DS: Do try that sour cream topping. It is really scarily good, especially considering how easy it is to make

@katie I thought I saw you on twitter saying you were thinking about culinary school. Here are two pages from my site to look at. They should give you a little idea of what culinary school was like for me and what a pastry chef’s day is really like: http://www.pastrychefonline.com/Culinary_School.html

I will be happy to answer any other specific questions you might have. Just email me at onlinepastrychef [at] yahoo [dot] com

Oh, a fellow hater of that chemical cocktail we call Cool Whip! I won’t even start…

Wonderful suggestions. Shirley Corriher has a stabiized whipped cream in Cookwise that’s great in hot weather. No need to buy a tub of that white stuff, ever.

7. Michaela says

Just discovered your blog and so much useful info, THANKS! I’m going to need some time to digest all this. I wish people could be so clear and helpful all the time.

And i’m not just saying this cos i’m going to ask you a question in the next breath ;))

I dont usually dress my cakes, but on the occasions that i need to (birthdays), what would be a good frosting to use that would give me a smooth and firm enough surface to pipe words on, APART from buttercream which i dont like. I like the lightness of whipped cream, but it’s not firm nor smooth enough. (btw, if you can share how to make a stabilised whipped cream, i would appreciate it! I usually just toss in some icing sugar, read somewhere that it helps to prevent weeping).I don’t dress my cakes, partly because i cant think of what to use aside from buttercream.

I do not eat plastic food … I make whipped cream when I want whipped cream. When I use it as icing or cake filling, I stabilize it whipping in a bit of plain gelatin. I soften 1 tsp. of plain gelatin in a bit of warm water, then gently blend it into the cream with the sugar. The cream stays firm and light as long as the cake or cream puffs last in our home. BTW, I love the idea of the whipped tofu – must try that one soon for my vegan friends.

9. carol says

Just what I was looking for and found a great deal of useful information also. Thanks! Never been fond of plastic or margarine for that matter. BTW, remember a product called Jello 1-2-3? Didn’t that include a type of Cool Whip? Like creating something similar with whipping cream myself, actually has flavor.

Hi, Carol! So glad I could help. I do remember Jello 1-2-3! Blast from the past. I thought it was so cool when I was a kid, but I’m with you, let’s just keep it natural! :)

10. Myrrh C. says

Making blueberry cheesecake, so the sour cream topping sounds like the perfect sub (it was supposed to be cool whip + 1/4 sour cream). Thanks! :)

Hey, Myrrh C. :) Glad you found me and that I was able to save you from the woe of the Cool Whip topping. I will say that the sour cream topping is one of my favorites. Bet it will be great with your cheesecake! What I like about the sour cream one is you can even just stir some brown sugar into sour cream, let the sugar crystals dissolve, stir again and then spoon it over berries w/ no baking required. Hooray! :D

Thank you thank you thank you!! I’m actually ALLERGIC to Cool Whip. Some sort of chemical in it makes me vomit. But my husband loves it, and I wanted something lighter than icing and yummy to put on a flag cake for this weekend. Sour cream topping = LOVE. :)

12. Kyra says

Hello. I am so glad I found your blog. For the past 2 months I have been on a crusade trying to find a good natural substitute to vegetable whipping cream. I tried whipping heavy cream following the packaging instructions. It turned into a heavier cream, extremely soft peaks, would not hold, not fluffy at all whipped cream. I even made creme fraiche and tried to whip that. Same results… I tried whipping longer… I got homemade butter… I remember the times when natural whipped cream was cheap and available to buy in all European pastry shops. Nowadays it seems impossible to find it… At least where I live… It was fluffy and looked just like its vegetable fat based counterpart. Can you post step by step instructions on how to get that light and fluffy whipped cream out of natural, widely available products such as heavy cream or sour cream? I’ve wrecked dozen of batches with not one acceptable result. Please help!

13. Carol says

Thanks, Jenni, for your Compendium of Creamy Homemade Dessert Toppings! Lots of new fun toppings to try.

I found your blog on a Google search for whether I could substitute whipped cream (I’m ashamed to say I was thinking of RediWhip) for the Cool Whip in the Turtle Pumpkin Pie recipe by Jello and Cool Whip (http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/turtle-pumpkin-pie-106961.aspx).

Since some of the whip is blended with the pumpkin and pudding mix, what do you recommend for that? And what do you recommend (the same or a different type?) for the topping?

Thanks so much… now I’m going to poke around the rest of your blog!

Carol

Hi, Carol. I hope I answered you way before now! If I didn’t, I apologize for letting you slip through the cracks. :oops: I’d suggest going w/gelatin-stabilized whipped cream in place of the Cool Whip. The gelatin will keep the whipped cream from weeping since it’ll tie up the whey in the cream. For topping, I’d go w/straight whipped cream or even whipped creme fraiche. Hope that helps, and again, I apologize if this response is Way Late.

• Carol says

Cute embarrassed face icon! No problem… I figured that stabilized whipped cream might be the solution, but hadn’t gotten around to testing it. Now that you’ve confirmed it, I will.

In the meantime, I tried a modification of the recipe I mentioned above by mixing 2 small pkgs of French Vanilla pudding with a 15 oz can of pureed pumpkin. It ended up too thick, so I added enough milk to make it work for a parfait with whipped cream (yikes! RediWip!) layers. Worked for me.

Next project is to create a pumpkin pie with the stabilized whip cream — and make my own pudding mix instead of buying it.

Do you happen to have a pudding recipe hanging around? ;-)

Good idea. Pudding from scratch is really quite easy to make: dairy, eggs/yolks, sugar, salt, vanilla/bean, starch. Do a search for “vanilla pastry cream,” and I’m sure you’ll get a bajilliion hits. Pastry cream is the standard “pudding” of the French pastry kitchen, used for everything from filling eclairs to Napoleons to cream puffs. Be not intimidated by the fancy French name, though–it’s just vaniller puddin’! :D

14. Rachel says

Just wondering, all those suggestions sound great but can you really use them in a pudding pie, or is packaged pudding taboo also? I just need a quick desert in a graham cracker crust. Please help

Hi Rachel. Good question. For myself, I’d rather make my own pudding rather than use a mix pudding or instant pudding. But, that’s just me. If you want to use packaged pudding to make a quick dessert, my suggestion, if you don’t want to use Cool Whip to lighten it (which you shouldn’t, right?!) is to use stabilized whipped cream. Quickly whisk in the hot gelatin/cream mixture when you reach soft/medium-soft peaks. Continue whisking until medium peaks, and then gently fold the whipped cream into the pudding. I’m not sure what texture you’re going for, but I’d put it at 1 part whipped cream to 2 parts pudding. You can always adjust from there. Hope that helps:)

15. Maureen says

I really appreciate your comments. I assumed that whipped cream could be substituted for the chemical stuff, but I didn’t think about all of those other natural alternatives. I think that the secret to the high calories is to eat normal portions. If people piled on whipped cream like they pile on cool whip, yes, you’re adding a lot of calories, but you get a lot of flavor from sweetened whipped cream and because of the fat, you feel satiated. You don’t have to load it on.
    Thank you so much.

Interesting, and great for Cool Whip addicts, I guess–I’m just trying to keep oil out of my toppings. And, for those who are vegetarians, it’s not vegetarian because of the gelatin. Cool though–at least it doesn’t contain HFCS or transfats!

16. alex says

for Drew Kime and Chris: there is some vegan people out there, or maybe lactose intolerant and if people want a whipped cream substitute what is it to you? everyone chooses what they want to put on their mouths, so if it sounds so ridiculous to you.. what are you doing reading this entry?

I think the issue is that Cool Whip isn’t really food at all, regardless of whether one is vegan or lactose intolerant, Cool Whip is just not real. It’s puffed up oils and sugars and that’s about it. For the lactose intolerant and vegan folks out there, and I know there are many, there are some reasonable alternatives that *are* based on real food ingredients.

You are correct, everyone has a choice about what they put in their mouths and bodies. Thanks for stopping by.

They didn’t ask for a vegan or lactose-free “whipped cream substitute”. They asked for a Cool Whip substitute. The point was that Cool Whip already is a substitute. If you don’t want Cool Whip because it’s nasty un-food, then whipped cream is what you want.

If you really do want a whipped cream substitute, then you’ve gotta say what you’re trying to avoid.

I don’t want chemical alternatives going into my families bodies, no way. If we don’t stand up for the health of our own bodies with healthy alternatives then who will?

17. Drea says

I believe that Cool Whip is not available in every place where there are people who want to prepare a dessert, so there is a need to ask for a substitute. People like them are asking to be answered truthfully and not sarcastically and it is not their fault that recipes put Cool Whip as an ingredient, which for them is a foreign concept.

Point taken, Drea, and it would have been really obnoxious if I had just made fun of Cool Whip w/o giving some options. I’ve given several options as Cool Whip alternatives, however, and therefore, I can sleep well at night. :)

18. Grace says

Hi,

I’m vegan, so your silken tofu substitute looks great – thanks! You talk about stabilizing whipped cream by adding gelatin (or gelatin substitute, I suppose, for vegetarians/vegans) – would this work with the tofu concoction, and if so, how much gelatin (substitute) would you add?

Thanks!

I think that agar would be your best bet for this. Unfortunately, I have never worked with it. I think you can find it in Asian grocery stores, and there are probably usage instructions on the back. Wish I could be more helpful, but it’s just not an ingredients I’m familiar with.

I do not–I find that building a foam slowly, either by hand or starting on medium w/a whisk attachment/stand mixer set-up produces a much more durable, long-lasting, stable foam than a rapid whip. Although, for convenience’s sake, they are pretty sweet! :)

19. Reddmaeve says

So glad to have found this!

I’m one of those Americans who are living in a Cool Whip free zone. I’ve located a Strawberry Cheese Pie recipe (like a cheesecake, but not baked and a bit softer… long story, but I’m just trying to recreate a dessert that I used to get in a little cafe/restaurant about… oh…. 20 years ago! ) Anyhow! The recipe that I’m going to try requires Cool Whip….

Now, you mentioned adding a tsp of gelatin to the cream as you blend it with the sugar…. how much cream are you talking about?

Thanks so much! I look forward to wandering through the rest of your site!

20. Vanessa Ash says

I can’t find anything about ratios. If a recipe calls for an 8 oz container of Cool Whip, how much whipping cream should I use? The Cool Whip container is measured by Net Wt. not volume so I’m not sure what to do. Help please.

That’s a great question, Vanessa. You can generally expect whipping cream to expand to twice its volume when it is fully whipped, so the short answer would be to whip 4 oz (by weight) of cream (or 1/2 cup by volume). But, if you’re going to be folding the cream into another mixture, you’ll want to stop whipping at about medium peaks since the act of folding continues to work the cream. I don’t want you to end up with over-whipped cream (or butter–worst case!) Also, you’ll want to stabilize the cream while whipping–you’ll need 1/2 teaspoon of powdered gelatin–this is because whipped cream will begin to weep after awhile and can mess up the texture of whatever you’re making, especially if the original recipe calls for non-weeping Cool Whip.

Sprinkle the gelatin over 2T. of your cream, stir and let sit until for about 5 minutes. It’ll be one big chunk of solid-looking cream. Melt it over medium heat, stirring until there it’s no longer grainy. Don’t let it boil–be careful, since it’s such a small amount of liquid. Cool to room temperature and whip it into the rest of the cream once it has reached soft peaks.

• Vanessa says

Thanks for your help! That’s good advice and it sounds easy! I’ll be trying it out in a couple of hours for one of my dinner recipes.

21. Elizabeth says

Hi, Thanks for the info in this article. I found myself making banana pudding at 10:30 at night, and no cool whip. Popped online and found this site quickly. Whipped heavy cream worked great for me, folded into a pudding/cream cheese/condensed milk recipe I have. Gave the concoction just enough oomph to stay fluffy, and that’s all I needed. Thanks!

22. Alicia says

I’m so glad I found your article. My husband is allergic to coconut. For Easter my mother brought over ambrosia salad minus the shaved coconut so he could try it, well he liked it so much he had 3 servings and was sick as a dog for the next day. I later found out that coconut oil is an ingredient in Cool Whip and although he got sick he still wanted me to try something else in place of the Cool Whip, well Rediwhip wasn’t the same. So from now on I’ll be making my own whipped topping.

That’s so great! When I wrote it, I honestly didn’t even consider food allergies, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’m glad you’ll all be able to enjoy Ambrosia and other good stuff without having to worry about coconut oil! :)

23. Just me says

I hate cool whip! However there is a recipe that I love for the summer that calls for cool whip (uugh) mixed with cream cheese, I want to try it with whip cream, should I mix it very stiff to keep it from fluffy or just medium? Thank you.

I’m afraid that whipped cream would deflate when trying to mix w/stiff cream cheese. But don’t despair–you don’t have to use Cool Whip! I’d suggest using some room temp mascarpone cheese, which is similar to cream cheese but softer. It will even whip up a bit in a mixer. I’d whip cream w/some sugar to medium peaks, blend the mascarpone ’til smooth and then fold the two together. Hope that helps:)

24. Karen says

Hi – thanks for these great ideas! I am impressed since I didn’t want to have to use coolwhip for the frosting (and part of a filling) for a cake I”m making for a birthday. A few questions:
    – can I use gelatin from a jello packet? I’ve already bought 2 packets and I only need one – I’m planning on using the heavy cream suggestion and noticed you say to mix gelatin to help it keep it’s shape.
    – I’m intrigued by your sour cream suggestion – any way you can use plain yogurt as a substitute – more healthy than sour cream? I am just curious.
    – also, when you mentioned the silken tofu recipe (which I thought was the soft tofu) you actually go on to say use the firm tofu (which confuses me) – could you clear up which it is – silken tofu or firm tofu?

I really like your post and excited there are many substitutes for the Cool Whip! Thanks!

Hi there, Karen. Do you mean use flavored gelatin? I guess you could, but for me, the whole idea of using something other than Cool Whip is to get rid of all the fake ingredients–and the flavorings and colorings in Jello are suspect, at best. Having said that, it might be fun to have a colored whipped cream. I’m not sure what percentage of each teaspoon of Jello powder is actually gelatin–I would bet that there is lots of sugar in it. So, for regular gelatin, I usually recommend using between 1/2 and 1 teaspoon of gelatin per cup of unwhipped cream. With Jello packs, try 1-2 teaspoons of the powder and see what happens. Let the gelatin sit in a small amount of cold water or cream for about 5 minutes, then heat and stir until no longer grainy–don’t let it boil. Just hot. Whisk it in once you’ve beaten the rest of the cream to medium peaks.

I’m not sure if you could use yogurt or not, actually. I’ve never tried. It would be worth a shot–both are tangy, so I bet yogurt would taste just as good. I’m not sure if it would set up the way the sour cream does, but it might be worth a test run. :)

If I misspoke about the tofu, I’m sorry. I’ll go change that so it doesn’t mess anyone up. Use the silken tofu. :)

• Karen says

Hi Again! Thanks for the suggestions – since the recipe I am making the cake is for an orange cake, that is why I asked about the flavored gelatin. I would agree that it probably isn’t the most healthy recipe, yet I can only “healthify” it so much without tossing it totally out and starting from scratch. : )
        I have tried plain yogurt in another recipe where the frosting called for sour cream (and I tried yogurt – actually worked out pretty well. I’ve been finding that yogurt is a pretty good substitute in some of those ways and I think the benefits of yogurt outweigh sour cream.
        Thanks for clarifying about the silken tofu. I’ve been using silken tofu in some smoothy recipes and it is wonderful (recipes that won’t work with my standby of yogurt).

I’m in the midst of baking my orange torte (as I write!) and I will let you know how it worked out with substituting heavy whipping cream for the cool whip with stabilizing orange-flavored gelatin!

• Karen says

Well, the cake turned out alright! I think I should have whipped my peaks for the whipped cream a little bit stiffer. I guess I forgot too that there wasn’t any sugar in there so it wasn’t as sweet for frosting (though the whole cake itself was very rich and so it was a nice offset). Thanks again for the suggestions!

Glad it turned out! Next time, you could try adding a bit more gelatin as well as whipping to medium-stiff peaks. Sometimes it’s nice to have a less-sweet topping, and I’m glad everyone enjoyed it! :)

25. Hannah says

Hi, just found your Cool Whip substitutes – thanks for that!! I’ve come across Cool Whip in a recipe I really want to try but we can’t buy it in my country (which by the sound of it isn’t a bad thing!!) and I didn’t know what to use instead! :)
    It seems to be just like a sweetened whipped cream; do people not whip their own cream in America?? I definitely want to try it in a food processor though to get that dense, creamy texture, it sounds great!!! :)
    Thanks heaps!! :)

Hi, Hannah–glad you found this post to be helpful! Many Americans do whip their own cream, but Cool Whip advertises a Lot and has helped to shape the belief that Cool Whip is Better than whipped cream. I’m trying to spread the word that it is NOT! ;)

26. Rosemary says

Wow, you sure have a good following.  Thanks for your. substitute for Cool Whip-I never did like it anyway.  I always felt I’ll take the natural stuff, for example sugar, eggs, etc until after I retired from teaching and discovered cholesterol is a problem, so now I spend a lot of time searching for substitutes for things I have used all my life.  I taught Home Ec in my district until they eliminated it-how stupid-but I ended up teaching elementary school until I retired.  Now the lack of Home Ec classes has come back to haunt school districts in the obesity rate of their students whose parents lack the Nutrition Fundamentals.

I so agree with you–kids really do need to learn how to cook and eat healthy. It is a crime how many programs have been cut from the public school systems. I’m glad you found me.

27. Eileen Patterson11 says

If you’re looking for a true replacement, try TruWhip – easy as buying it in the store and all natural, especially if you use Cool Whip because it’s lower fat than whipped cream!

“All natural” means almost less than nothing. And the fat is about the last thing you should be worrying about in whipped cream. The sugar is the only problem.

28. Param01 says

Oh my…..super site and thanks for all the yukie Cool Whip options.  Only question I have is when a recipe calls for that YUKIE stuff mixed into the recipes ingredients can you use one of your options above.  Thanks for your reply.

I just saw your comment! Sorry to keep you waiting:/ Yes, you can use it the same way, although if using whipped cream, you might need to stablilize it a bit with some gelatin, depending on what you’re doing with it.

29. Pagerebekah says

Thank you so much for the Italian meringue idea… I have 2 children with dairy allergies… I think I will be able to fold this into recipes the same way you could whip cream or thawed cool whip… Opens up so many more possibilities as neither were going to work here! Plus I am addicted to meringue anything… Another style of meringue is always welcome- very welcome!

30. Vickie says

Wow, how good to find your site. I do not live in the States and can not find all the ingredients I need to bake those great recipes from the States. I am glad to know there is a substitute.
    Can you freeze your whipped topping?

Good question! I think, flavorwise it’s a great idea. Since most versions that I’ve seen contain pectin or other thickeners, it shouldn’t thin out when mixed. Just know that it will have a denser texture than a traditionally whipped topping (whipped cream included:)

I think that if it’s really thick and lovely that it is a perfect use. Unsweetened actually works quite well as a foil to really sweet dishes. I had some homemade Greek yogurt as a topping for bread pudding and it was excellent!

31. Jeanne Simmons says

Hate Cool Whip…it leaves a weird coating on the roof of my mouth! I use homemade Greek yogurt (ridiculously easy to make) and sweeten to taste, depending on what it is used.
    Substitute for margarine?? Why? Flies don’t even like the “real” stuff. LOL

32. Peggy says

I was addicted to sour cream and when I found plain greek yogurt I was so happy to taste my “sour cream” again and no fat only protein and good stuff. Of course, my two favorites are Fage and Chobani. So I am thinking I could use them in place of the sour cream in the topping. Thanks for posting. I am happy I found your web page.

Yes, I think either would work since it’s most likely the proteins that firm up in the oven. Give it a shot and let me know, okay? I’m glad you found me too; thanks for stopping by and commenting!

33. Patty says

Hi! I´ve just found you looking for something to substitute Cool Whip and I´m very happy!!! Because now I can count on you for some questions I´ll have about some ingredients I can´t find here in México City, like the Cool Whip (we have the one on the can. By the way, I liked the recipe of the sour cream whipped with the whipping cream, I´m gonna try it. Best regards

Hi there, Patty! I’m glad you found me, and I’m happy to be of help. If you’re on facebook, please come and like the fan page. I’m very active there on a daily basis and usually can answer your questions in a short amount of time. Take care!

34. Lana Frye says

Thank you for the coconut milk suggestion, I am allergic to cream and have now become intollerant to Cool whip (there is a dairy derivative in it that I suspect is the culpret). So yes Drew and Chris, there are people who would look for a substitute to Cool whip when you already know you cannot eat whipped cream!

• Cindy McCarty says

First off, you can read the Cool Whip label because there are some that are not doped up with milk fillers. This is all coming from someone that has a lactose intolerant familly. Now, I found this article because I want alternatives to anything dairy or Cool Whip either one and I found some to try here. And, for the record, there are a lot of us out here that are lactose intolerant.

Hi There,
    I am just reading your post and I am just flabbergasted. I`m from the Netherlands and I thought it was a knowledge all around the world, how to make whipped cream!!! Not to laugh of make fun at anybody but I am genuinly surprised by the use of coolwhip. I didn`t know what it was, so I started looking it up. And yes we do have something similair to coolwhip in Holland. It is called ” Klop Klop” (translated as: wisk, wisk) It is in powder form, but we don`t use it on itself, but to make whipped cream last longer (to stay firm for a longer period of time). Now I know that some Dutch people use it as a substitute for coolwhip. If I read your article right, then it is just a question of taste (and perhaps calories) wether you want to use coolwhip or whipped cream.
    But we learn from our mothers / grandmothers at early age, how to whip the cream right. And how to get it fluffy or stronger, with alcohol in it (Christmas pancakes with whipped cream and “advocaat” I think you call it eggnog) is just a piece of heaven on christmasmorning. So Yes, PLEASE people, STOP using Coolwhip!! Whipped cream is so much better, and richer in taste. I come from the country. And we got the milk straight from the cow, so we allways had really really really fresh heavy cream to make whipped cream. Thanks for the explaining and I will DEFINATLY never use coolwhip. :-)