Sandwich lovers, I think you are going to love this chicken guacamole sandwich. You can also make them into tasty spicy chicken sliders if you prefer.
A copycat recipe for an incredibly tasty sandwich I had at Mimi’s Cafe one time–a sandwich I kind of couldn’t stop thinking about–it’s at least as good as the original.
With buttermilk and Greek yogurt-marinated chicken, spicy guacamole, pepper jack cheese and red onion, this is one winner of a sandwich.
This post contains affiliate links. We are members of the Amazon Affiliate program. For any sale through our links, we earn a small commission. Your price is unaffected. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
The Original Spicy Chicken Guacamole Sandwich
I wish I could take credit for the original idea for this Sandwich, but alas I cannot.
The Beloved and I ate at Mimi’s Cafe, and along with a mimosa, I ordered their spicy chicken guacamole sandwich. It came on baguette, and it was perfect.
The more I ate, the more I kept saying to The Beloved, “Dang, this is a good sandwich,” and “Seriously, this thing is awesome!” and “No, you can’t have a bite of mine.”
How to Make These Sliders, The Video
I put together a little video to show you how to make 12 sliders at one time. Note this post was originally sponsored by Sabra, so I used their products as ingredients.
Sabra still makes a pretty killer guacamole, so feel free to use that, but you can also use your favorite guacamole.
Ditto with the Greek yogurt dip. Sabra no longer makes it, so you can use your favorite Greek yogurt as part of your marinade, or you can just use all buttermilk.
The Sandwich, Two Ways
I had been meaning to recreate Mimi’s Spicy Chicken Guacamole Sandwich ever since I tried it, and I finally made it happen.
But you see, there are sandwiches we make for other people, and then. Then there are the sandwiches we make for ourselves.
There are sandwiches meant to be inhaled mindlessly while one’s attention is on the wee men in helmets on the television, and then there are Sandwiches meant to be appreciated and savored.
You can make the spicy chicken guacamole sandwich either way.
Way One: Spicy Chicken Sliders
You can make 12 sandwiches at once, much like I make my famous ham and cheese sliders, by spreading guacamole over a whole flat of rolls you’ve split down the middle.
Then pile on the sandwich fillings, and cut between the rolls. Done! The perfect 4-5 bite sandwich to keep you going while you’re watching the big game.
Way Two: The Epic Spicy Chicken Guacamole Sandwich
This sandwich right here? This is the sandwich that makes you a sandwich artist.
Spread on the guacamole and the spicy mayo, and then place each ingredient lovingly on the bun.
This larger sandwich deserves the prettiest lettuce too, like Bibb, butter, or green or red leaf lettuce.
Yeah, this is the instagram sammich, baby!
Here’s How You Take These to a Game Day Party
I am not often invited to Super Bowl or other Sports Themed parties, mainly because people know I am not a football fan.
But if I were to be invited to a Super Bowl Party, I’d
- make a platter of tiny spicy chicken guacamole sliders for the folks who are eating while watching.
- And then, I’d lovingly assemble maybe 3 epic spicy chicken guacamole sandwiches to enjoy with the one or two other people who are only there for the food.
You guys do what you want. I just wanted to make sure you have Options.
Ingredients for the Spicy Chicken Guacamole Sandwich
The anatomy of the sandwich at Mimi’s was pretty straightforward:
- chicken breast
- jack cheese
- red onion sliced paper-thin
- tomato (in season)
I didn’t really do much embellishing except to spice it up a bit.
The lettuce would be lost on a slider (and probably make the whole sandwich too slippery), but it provides a nice layer of crisp crunch on the epic sandwich.
By all means use tomatoes when they’re in season, but winter tomatoes here are meh at best, so I just skipped them altogether.
For your next get together, make a ton for your guests to snack on or make just a few for you and your fellow sandwich aficionados to savor.
Either way, you really can’t beat the flavor and texture combination in a this epic sandwich. I think you’ll love them!
What Makes This Sandwich Work
There are some sandwiches that are just okay, and others that are Epic. Here’s what puts this sammy into the Epic category:
- mix of textures: creamy guacamole, meaty chicken, soft cheese, crisp lettuce and onions
- mix of temperatures: hot chicken and cheese, cold onions, guacamole, spicy mayonnaise, lettuce and onions
- mix of flavors: spicy mayo, savory chicken, mellow cheese, buttery/spicy guacamole, fresh lettuce
Sandwich Side Dishes
If you want to work even a little bit harder, it doesn’t get much more epic than these Cheesy Polenta Fries!
I really hope you love this spicy chicken guacamole sandwich (or sliders), you guys! If you make it, please share a photo with me, either in the PCO Facebook Group or on instagram by tagging @onlinepastrychef and using hashtag #pcorecipe. Thanks, and enjoy!
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless, , skinless chicken breast halves (or two whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- several grindings black pepper
- your favorite hot sauce
- 1/4 cup water
For the Sliders
- 1 package of 12 small dinner rolls sold together in a cardboard tray (I used King's Hawaiian)
- 2-3 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
- several shakes of your favorite hot sauce
- about 3/4 of the chicken breast, sliced (save the remainder for an Epic Sandwich)
- 3 oz sliced pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup your favorite guacamole
For the Chicken
- In a large measuring cup, stir together the buttermilk, ranch, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Transfer to a gallon-sized zip top bag.
- Add the pieces of chicken breast, carefully press out all the air and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil or neutral vegetable oil.
- Let excess marinade drain off of each piece of chicken before placing in the pan to sear (2-3 minutes). Turn chicken to sear the other side, an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Shake a bit more hot sauce onto each breast and add the water to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover the pan and simmer until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F, about 7 minutes.
- Slice the chicken into fairly thin slices and keep warm.
To Assemble the Sandwich
- Cut the tray of rolls in half horizontally. On the bottom half, spread a very thin coat of mayonnaise followed by a few shakes of hot sauce.
- Layer on as much of the chicken as will fit (you will probably have enough left over for an epic sandwich).
- Layer on slices of pepper jack cheese and then place under the broiler for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and draped over the chicken pieces like Dali's clocks. You don't want the cheese super runny, so be careful.
- Layer on some thinly sliced red onion.
- Spread about 1/4" layer of Sabra Guacamole on the top half of the bread and place it on the sandwich.
- Slice between all the individual rolls to cut individual sliders and pile on a plate.
Add sliced tomato when it is in season.
If making sliders, I would leave off both the tomato and the lettuce as both would make the sliders difficult to eat.
For your epic sandwich, use your favorite bread. Brioche is a good choice if you like a rich bread. If not, use baguette, Cuban bread, or Italian bread. A kaiser roll or onion roll would also be lovely!
To keep the hot part hot and the cold part cold:
- put the chicken for the sandwich on a broiling pan
- top it with pepper jack cheese
- broil until the cheese is melted.
- use a spatula to transfer the hot chicken and cheese on top of the cold lettuce on the sandwich.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 318 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 56mg Sodium 568mg Carbohydrates 24g Fiber 2g Sugar 10g Protein 21g
Thanks so much for taking the time to read today. Enjoy the sandwich, and have a lovely day.