There is nothing like a plate or bowlful of comforting noodles when you are in need of an easy, homey meal. This recipe is an easy take on the Italian classic cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper). A short ingredient list and easy prep make this simple pasta recipe one to keep in your back pocket.
You may also enjoy my creamy pasta sauce. It’s also easy to make and incredibly tasty.
Why This Recipe?
For one, it’s easy to make. And if you’re like me, you already have everything you need to make it.
It’s also ready in almost no time at all. It takes longer to boil the water than it does to actually make the dish.
This recipe relies on the emulsification of the water and oil with the help of the starch in the cooking water. The creaminess is what makes these truly comforting noodles.
The flavoring is what I like, but you are welcome to use any combination of seasonings you enjoy and have on hand.
Doubling the Recipe
It’s very easy to double this recipe. Just cook an entire pound of pasta and increase all the other ingredients to your liking.
Make It A Meal
I just sit all alone and eat this right out of the pot sometimes, but if you’d like to turn it into a full-fledged meal, add this strawberry spinach salad as a side in the spring time, this stacked heirloom salad in the summer, or this fresh citrus salad in winter.
I have literally never had to figure out what to do with leftovers, but if you have some of these noodles leftover, just refrigerate them in a covered bowl.
You can reheat in the microwave or on the stove top over medium heat.
You could also use a bunch of your leftover to make a spaghetti pie. I have a recipe on the site I make with bucatini, (bucatini pie) but any long shape will work. You’ll just need some eggs and additional cheese and you’ll be in business. Leftover noodles never had it so good!
I really hope you love these noodles, you guys!
Thanks, and enjoy!
- 8 oz long pasta--spaghetti, bucatini, linguine, etc
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (crushed in the palm of your hand)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (green can is fine)
- Cook the pasta in well-salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Return pasta to the pot and add reserved water and the olive oil along with the pepper, pepper flake, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly but as gently as you can to keep from breaking up the pasta.
- Stir until the pasta is evenly coated with the spices and the water and oil have cooked down to a creamy, thick sauce that coats the noodles.
- Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with additional Parmesan or pepper and maybe some freshly chopped herbs, if desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 725Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 11mgSodium 689mgCarbohydrates 111gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 24g
The stated nutritional information is provided as a courtesy. It is calculated through third party software and is intended as a guideline only.