Sometimes I get crazy ideas. Like using "I Can Spell" as my campaign slogan for class secretary in 5th grade. Or bringing my mom a plastic boat when the washing machine overflowed and flooded the kitchen. I mean, she did say to "Go get something!" Way to be specific, mom. But I actually had a good crazy idea a few weeks ago. I thought that it would be Fun to experiment with different strains of brewers' yeast in my bread.
Granted, bakers' yeast has been optimized for baking, so I guess it's a fan of the particular sugars present in wheat flour. But all yeasts eat sugars and expel carbon dioxide and alcohol. I figured that baking with brewers' yeast might be a fun experiment. So, The Beloved and I took a trip out to the local home brew store, American Brewmaster. I came home with a veritable Treasure Trove of goodies. I bought three kinds of yeast, some Belgian candy sugar (which sat on the sidelines during this experiment--I kind of forgot about it. You'll see it in action soon enough, though. I promise), and some dry malt extract. I was going to get the syrupy malt extract, but The Guy told me that it is Very Susceptible to bacterial infiltration and just to get the dried. I sullenly accepted his advice.
So, then, there they were. All my ingredients. Facing me. Day after day. Finally, after a couple of weeks, I broke down and decided that That Day was The Day. I decided to be kind of scientific-y about the whole thing. Each dough used exactly the same ingredients in the same proportions. The only difference was the type of yeast I used. I also labeled everything and gave all the dough the same amount of rise time both on the counter and in the fridge.