It’s no secret I fell so in love with Barb’s Pikes Peak Spiked Apple Crisp that I made my own version. It was remarkably delicious, and it barely lasted 24 hours because we ate it that quickly. That’s the Royal We, you understand.
I’ve been thinking about that crisp and how to make it even more comforting. I decided that I wanted the apples to be as soft as possible; almost jammy in consistency. Shredding was the answer, so I broke out the food processor to make Vegan Boozy Shredded Apple Crisp. The dish was *almost* vegan as it was. A simple substitution of coconut oil for the butter in the streusel topping turned this comforting dessert (or breakfast) into a vegan comfort food extravaganza.
I didn’t peel my apples, but you certainly could before shredding them. Peeling them after shredding is Ill-Advised. Making this crisp, however, is highly recommended.
I’m submitting this delicious crisp to the Virtual Vegan Potluck this week. Yay!
For the Apples
- 6 sweet-tart apples, (peeling is optional) Ones that turn sort of mushy when baked are recommended--Golden Delicious and or Braeburns work well here
- 2 Tablespoons each of Grand Marnier and Frangelico
- 1 Tablespoon sugar, (I used Sugar in the Raw)
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch or flour, (optional, but will help to thicken the juices from the apples)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice, (or use cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of allspice)
- healthy pinch of salt
For the Streusel
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, , finely chopped (optional but lovely)
- heavy pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
For the Apples
- If you don't want to peel the apples, dip them in boiling water for about 10 seconds to break down the wax they're coated in. Remove from the water and scrub under running water to make sure the wax is all gone. If peeling them, wash them well and peel them.
- Quarter each apple, cut out the core and shred using your food processor's coarse shredding disc. Or shred them by hand.
- Place the shredded apples in a baking dish, Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
For the Streusel
- Combine all the streusel ingredients in a bowl. Cut in the coconut oil with your fingers or with a pastry cutter until the mixture is well blended and no longer floury.
- Spread the streusel evenly over the apples and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the streusel is golden brown and the apples are bubbling all over.
- Let cool for at least a few minutes before serving. You can add a dollop of vegan ice cream (coconut milk-based would work well) or whipped coconut cream to make it extra decadent.
Super comforting, super delicious Vegan (or not–feel free to use butter in your streusel) Boozy Shredded Apple Crisp just might be your cup of tea, or bowl of apples, if you like extreme contrast between soft filling and crispy streusel. I hope you give it a try!
Thanks so much for spending some time with me today for Throwback Thursday Food, even if I did only throwback to a week ago! Have a lovely day.