Halloween is my favorite, and these Malted Milk Ball Spider Cookies are the second of three spooky recipes I have for you this week.
This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Easy Spider Cookies
Y’all. These spider cookies are the cutest! And they’re also truly delicious.
The base recipe is the very solid chocolate chip cookie dough recipe from Stella Parks of Serious Eats and the wonderful cookbook BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts. I cut the sugar by just a bit to make room for all the sugar in the 6 ounces of chopped Maltesers Malted Milk Balls I mixed in.
Thanks to sponsor, Wilton, I had super cute candy eyes which I “glued” (with royal icing) onto whole Maltesers to make round fat spider bodies.
As soon as the cookies came out of the oven, I nestled a spider body into the center of each cookie, and once they cooled, I used melted chocolate mixed with a touch of coconut oil to pipe the legs. You could also use chocolate candy melts.
How To Make Spider Cookies for Halloween
These guys are really easy to make. You could even start with store bought dough in your favorite flavor–peanut butter, chocolate chip, etc–and then just add the decorations after baking. Here’s a quick step by step rundown of how to make these guys.
- Use royal icing to glue the sugar eyes onto the malted milk balls and let them dry overnight.
- Bake the cookies and place a spider body in the center of each one as soon as they come out of the oven. When you do it, be sure to press them into the baked cookie to make sure enough chocolate melts to hold them in place.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate candy melts (or chocolate chips and oil) in the microwave on medium power.
- Place in a zip top bag and snip off a very tiny corner.
- Pipe 8 legs onto your spider cookies.
- Allow the chocolate to cool completely and set up.
Please feast your eyes on all the recipes for today, and don’t forget to scroll down both for the recipe and for the giveaway.
And remember, there’s a “Jump To Recipe” button at the top of each of my posts so you can get straight to it. Still, I don’t want you to miss the giveaway!
Sponsor Products Used in the Spider Cookies
Thank you, sponsors!
Halloween Treats Week Posts for Wednesday
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Pumpkin Patch Graveyard Eclair from Big Bear’s Wife
- Pumpkin Empanadas from Pook’s Pantry
- Malted Milk Ball Spider Cookies from Pastry Chef Online (you’re here!)
- Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes from Mrs Happy Homemaker
- Purple Velvet Halloween Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Eyeball Jello Shots from I am a Honey Bee
- Monster Fudge from 4 Sons R Us
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from A Blender Mom
- Vampire Ice Cream Floats from Daily Dish Recipes
- Graveyard Pie from Eat Move Make
- Easy Skeleton Cake Pops from Pint Sized Baker
- Swiss Meringue Spooky Skull from Kudos Kitchen
- Candy Corn Cheesecake Mousse from The Spiffy Cookie
- Melting Witch Candy Popcorn Halloween Party Mix from Lady Behind The Curtain
- Dragon’s Eggs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Graveyard Dip from Mildly Meandering
- Eyeball Cake Balls from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- White Chocolate Ghost Cupcakes from The Beard and The Baker
- Halloween Chocolate Blossom Sprinkle Cookies from House of Nash Eats
- Rice Krispie Haunted House from Savory Experiments
- Halloween Snack Mix from Katie’s Cucina
- Monster Rice Krispies from For the Love of Food
Easy Halloween Spider Cookies (made with Malted Milk Balls)
If you love the sound of these cookies, please consider rating and/or commenting. I love to hear from readers!
This is the cookie scoop I use to make these (and most other) cookies. You’ll end up with lovely 3″ cookies if you use this guy.
Note the original recipe for the cookie base is very slightly modified from Stella Parks's recipe for chopped chocolate chip cookies from her excellent BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts. You can half the recipe to get 18 cookies. The only fussy bit is you need to beat the egg and then remove half to use in the recipe. *Or use chocolate candy melts in place of the chocolate chips and coconut oil
For the Cookies
For the Decorations
For the Cookies
To Make the Decorations
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 133mg Carbohydrates: 19g Sugar: 11g Protein: 1g
Note the original recipe for the cookie base is very slightly modified from Stella Parks's recipe for chopped chocolate chip cookies from her excellent BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts.
You can half the recipe to get 18 cookies. The only fussy bit is you need to beat the egg and then remove half to use in the recipe.
*Or use chocolate candy melts in place of the chocolate chips and coconut oil
Here are a couple more of my Halloween recipes:
Thanks for spending time with me today. Now please don’t forget to enter the giveaways!
Take care, and have a lovely day.
Halloween Treats Week Giveaway!
Happy Halloween! We hope you’re ready for a spooktacular event as we celebrate Halloween with the first annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This haunting week-long event is filled with fantastic Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For our very first #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 100 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Pure Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Caramel Extract, Almond Extract, Pumpkin Pie Dip Mix and Adam’s Best Twice as strong Vanilla
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Halloween Cookie House Bat, Tombstone and Skull 3-Piece Cookie Cutter Set, Halloween Skull Tube Pan, Zombie Cupcake Liners, Skull Sugar Decorations
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away 1 (one) 1.5lb Sprinkle Mix Kit from their shop
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a $25 Visa Gift Card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 1st – October 6th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Treat Street USA ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.