I am thrilled to partner with Sabra to bring you this post. Thanks for your support!
I hear there's some "big game" coming up in a few weeks. Although the way my facebook timeline looks these days, it seems like at least a few folks think that every Sunday is a Big Game. So, when Sabra asked me to come up with a great game day recipe to share for the Super Bowl and their Buy, Snap, Score promotion (more on that later), I said sure. Even though I'm not a huge football fan--okay, I'm not a football fan at all--I love some good game day food. Hearty dips and spreads, wings, chili, and sliders of all kinds? Sign me up!
I wish I could take credit for the original idea of the Spicy Chicken Guacamole Sandwich, but alas I cannot. The Beloved and I ate at Mimi's Cafe a few days before Christmas, and along with a mimosa, I ordered their spicy chicken guacamole sandwich. It came on baguette, and it was perfect. The more I ate, the more I kept saying to The Beloved, "Dang, this is a good sandwich," and "Seriously, this thing is awesome!" and "No, you can't have a bite of mine."
I've been meaning to recreate Mimi's Spicy Chicken Guacamole Sandwich ever since, and now is the perfect time. But you see, there are sandwiches we make for other people, and then. Then there are the sandwiches we make for ourselves. There are sandwiches meant to be inhaled mindlessly while one's attention is on the wee men in helmets on the television, and then there are Sandwiches meant to be appreciated and savored. You can make the spicy chicken guacamole sandwich either way.
Make a whole pile of sandwiches for the folks watching the game.
Or make an Epic Sandwich to savor on your own.
I am not often invited to Super Bowl parties, mainly because people know I am not a football fan. But if I were to be invited to a Super Bowl Party, I'd make a platter of tiny spicy chicken guacamole sliders for the folks who are eating while watching. And then, I'd lovingly assemble maybe 3 epic spicy chicken guacamole sandwiches to enjoy with the one or two other people who are only there for the food. You guys do what you want. I just wanted to make sure you have Options.
Before we get to the sandwich proper, let me tell you about the Buy, Snap, Score promotion the lovelies at Sabra are running now through February 15, 2016. Here's how it works.
- Buy 2 Sabra products and 2 Stacy's products
- Snap a pic of your receipt and upload to Dip Zone
- Score a $5 gift card. Huzzah!
See those chips up there? Those are Stacy's Pita Chips in Fire Roasted Jalapeño, and they were super crunchy, plenty spicy, and very delicious. And you already know I'm such a Sabra Tastemaker. These two brands play very nicely together. Yum!
And now, let us make some sliders and sandwiches.
Spicy Chicken Guacamole Sandwich
For you visual folks, here's a video showing how I made this guy.
The anatomy of the sandwich at Mimi's was pretty straightforward: baguette, chicken breast, jack cheese, red onion sliced paper-thin, guacamole, tomato, lettuce. The end. I didn't really do much embellishing except to spice it up a bit. The lettuce would be lost on a slider (and probably make the whole sandwich too slippery), but it provides a nice layer of crisp crunch on the epic sandwich. By all means use tomatoes when they're in season, but winter tomatoes here are meh at best, so I just skipped them altogether.
The recipe is written for the sliders. I have faith in you that you can make the sandwich on your own on your favorite kind of bread. One note though: to make sure the lettuce stayed cold, I put the chicken I needed for the sandwich on a broiling pan, topped it with pepper jack cheese and broiled until the cheese was melted. Then, I used a spatula to transfer the hot chicken and cheese on top of the cold lettuce on the sandwich.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (or two whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ small container Sabra Farmer's Ranch Greek Yogurt Dip
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- several grindings black pepper
- your favorite hot sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 package of 12 small dinner rolls sold together in a cardboard tray
- 2-3 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
- several shakes of your favorite hot sauce
- about ¾ of the chicken breast, sliced (save the remainder for an Epic Sandwich)
- sliced pepper jack cheese
- red onion, sliced thinly
- ½ container Sabra Guacamole (Classic or Spicy)
- In a large measuring cup, stir together the buttermilk, Sabra Greek Yogurt Dip, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Transfer to a gallon-sized zip top bag.
- Add the pieces of chicken breast, carefully press out all the air and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil or neutral vegetable oil.
- Let excess marinade drain off of each piece of chicken before placing in the pan to sear (2-3 minutes). Turn chicken to sear the other side, an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Shake a bit more hot sauce onto each breast and add the water to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover the pan and simmer until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F, about 7 minutes.
- Slice the chicken into fairly thin slices and keep warm.
- Cut the tray of rolls in half horizontally. On the bottom half, spread a very thin coat of mayonnaise followed by a few shakes of hot sauce.
- Layer on as much of the chicken as will fit (you will probably have enough left over for an epic sandwich).
- Layer on slices of pepper jack cheese and then place under the broiler for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and draped over the chicken pieces like Dali's clocks. You don't want the cheese super runny, so be careful.
- Layer on some thinly sliced red onion.
- Spread about ¼" layer of Sabra Guacamole on the top half of the bread and place it on the sandwich.
- Slice between all the individual rolls to cut individual sliders and pile on a plate.
And there you have it. Make a ton for your guests to snack on or make just a few for you and your fellow sandwich aficionados to savor. Either way, you really can't beat the flavor and texture combination in a spicy chicken guacamole sandwich, and using Sabra products in the marinade and the sandwich itself make them really easy to make. I think you'll love them!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read today. Enjoy the sandwich (or the sliders), and don't forget about Buy, Snap, Score. A $5 gift card is nothing to sneeze at!
Take care, and have a lovely day.