Most Recent Update:
One recipe, endless variations. The base of a chocolate chip cookie is just a rich brown sugar butter cookie.
What makes it a chocolate chip cookie is the chocolate chips. Add what you want to the basic recipe, and make these cookies your own.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, , softened
- 2 large eggs, ,beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- if desired, , 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugars, salt and vanilla, and cream until well combined and uniform, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape bowl as necessary.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape bowl as necessary.
- Whisk together the flour and baking soda. Mix in on low speed until just combined.
- Add the chips and nuts (if using), and fold them in by hand.
- Refrigerate dough for at least an hour or two and up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F and scoop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake two sheets at a time, for a total of about 15 minutes, rotating between the racks halfway through baking.
- Let cool on the baking sheets for five minutes, and then remove to racks to cool completely.
Chilling the dough is an optional step, although I do recommend it. Ripening the dough helps the flavors to blend and mature. You will notice a difference if you can stand the wait!