In what world would three relatively sane women decide that it is a good idea to use potatoes, rice and coconut in a dish? Together. At the same time. Well, I'll tell you. It's the Twitterverse, wherein snippets of thought--not necessarily complete thoughts, mind you--140 characters long get bandied about at the speed of light. Occasionally, a conversation starts zipping back and forth along the Cyber Highway, and other folks join in, and then before you know it, you're hosting an Unlikely Cooking Challenge.
Before I get into all of that, let me introduce you to my Partners in Crime. @DailySpud and @TangledNoodle. I love these ladies. All three of us started blogging at about the same time--towards the end of 2008, and somehow we just Found each other. Aiofe, the brains and beauty behind The Daily Spud is not only a wonderful writer, she is also a very creative cook who specializes in All Things Potato. Plus, she is just The Best. So there.
Tracey of Tangled Noodle fame says she is a reluctant cook, but she certainly doesn't act like one. Her angle is food anthropology, and over at her place, I have learned many, many things about food history. Her writing is simply poetic. Plus, she is just The Best, too.
This whole TaytoRiCo thing started when Tracey made a Thing that was inspired by a Thing that Aoife made. And then tweets began flying and, all of a sudden, we've got this challenge going on. So, we came up with its very own Hashtag (which makes it a Legitimate Movement, on twitter, anyway) #TaytoRiCo.
There was a lot of interest in this back when we started chatting about it almost four weeks ago, and we'd love as many people as are willing to participate. Here are the rules, such as they are:
- Dish must be a)Epic and b)Edible (pretend bonus points if it is also Stunningly Beautiful)
- Your dish must contain some form (any form) of all three ingredients: potatoes, rice and coconut
- You get bonus points (okay, pretend bonus points, but still) if you make a dessert
- Post your answer to the #TaytoRiCo challenge on or before Thursday, March 31.
- Email me the link to your post and please link to this post as well, because this is where the round-up will Happen.
- Send me a photo of your Amazing Entry, or give me permission in your email to go swipe one off your post (with a link to you, of course).
- Please consider spreading the word now by sharing on twitter using the Prescribed Hashtag.
- And I think that about covers it. If I've left something Vital out, please let me know.
If you know anyone else who might like to participate, please pass it along to them. The more, the merrier. See you all here on March 31 for TaytoRiCo Edible Epic-ness!
Have a lovely day.